I cannot image the shock, disappointment and sadness the disciples must have faced when Jesus, their King, died. He was supposed to save them, and now He was dead, lying in a tomb.As far as they knew, it was over. But what happened next was something that shook the world, and remains the heartbeat of Christianity and what gives us hope for the future. He rose again.
Three days after his brutal death on the cross, the stone was rolled away from the entrance of the tomb and it was empty, save the burial clothes that lay inside. He had defeated death itself.
The fact that Christ rose from the dead is so crucial and glorious to the Christian. it means that we:
- We serve a living Savior. All other religions serve gods or prophets that have died. And because Jesus lives, we can have an deep and real relationship with Him.
- It means that we have forgiveness of sins.”If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. 1 Cor. 15:17
- We have hope of a life after death. “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.” 1 Thess. 4:16
- We are given the Holy spirit to overcome sin and death. “and if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.” Romans 8:11
- We can have new life. We are not bound to sin, darkness and a living a life separated from God. With the sacrifice of Christ, we can be restored to a relationship with God.
The Lord is risen! Hallelujah!